building MPlayer: gcc-3.4.x compiler issues

Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. joseph_sacco at comcast.net
Sun Jan 9 15:48:44 MST 2005

Albrecht,

I built gcc-3.4.3 on a G4 7410 and used it to successfully build
MPlayer.

In particular, yuv2rgb_altivec.c compiles, albeit with some warnings:

        /usr/local/gcc/3.4.3/bin/gcc -c -I../libvo -I../../libvo
        -I/usr/X11R6/include -O4 -mcpu=7400 -mtune=7400 -maltivec
        -mabi=altivec -pipe -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer
        -D_REENTRANT -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64   -I.
        -I..  -I.. -o yuv2rgb_altivec.o yuv2rgb_altivec.c
        yuv2rgb_altivec.c: In function `altivec_yuv2packedX':
        yuv2rgb_altivec.c:796: warning: assignment from incompatible
        pointer type
        yuv2rgb_altivec.c:803: warning: assignment from incompatible
        pointer type

Observations
--------------
* My other/2, who works in the embedded systems world, tells me than the
G4 7410 and 7450 share the same instruction set in *user* mode, which is
the mode we can access. So..., the compiler crash you reported is
probably not instruction set related.

* I am using the the 2.6.9 kernel headers.
I don't think this is the source of the problem. I looked at the output
from the preprocessor stage and do not see any include files from

	/usr/include/linux
	/usr/include/asm

* I upgraded binutils, which contains the ***assembler***,

from
	binutils-2.15.90.0.0-0.ydl.2

	binutils-2.15.92.0.2-6

Of the things I would worry about causing a compiler crash, the
assembler is high on my list.

* your compiler is named "cc"
I noticed in your code snippet that your compiler is named "cc".  I
assume that "cc" actually points to the version of gcc that you assume
you are using.

What to do???

* watch the compiler crash with the "-v" option set to see if anything
new can be learned.
        * cd to  ./MPlayer-1.0pre6a/postproc
        * run "make" and watch the compiler crash again
        * copy and paste the compile command to the command line prompt
        * edit the command line and add "-v"

* upgrade binutils
Use the Fedora SRPM to build and install the upgrade for binutils.

 	binutils-2.15.92.0.2-11.src.rpm

Hope that helps,

-Joseph

--