java at ydl 4.0 and yum.conf

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Wed Jan 12 23:50:57 MST 2005

That recall was to repair what Apple did wrong and was unrelated to
anything you did, YDL or otherwise. Upon a brand new installation of YDL4,
there are three things that must be done right away:

1) Point /etc/yum.conf to a mirror. If you are in North America, the best
way you can do this is to replace the contents of the file with what
you'll find at:
http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2004-December/017330.html
Then issue the command "yum update" to update all your packages, including
the kernel. You will then need to edit /etc/yaboot.conf to make sure the
default points to vmlinux-2.6.9-1.ydl.8 and initrd-2.6.9-1.ydl.8.img, then
issue the command "/sbin/ybin -v" for the changes to take effect.

2) Enable accelerated video. The exact manner you go about doing this, and
whether you do it at all, depends on the which model Mac you have. The
best example on this list that I have seen of how to do this has been for
the Pismo:
http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2004-December/017080.html
Adjustments to the file will need to be made for any other model.
Guidelines for ATI-based video are:
a) Ignore what that message says about removing the "append" line; it
doesn't hurt anything.
b) Uncomment the line that says: Load "dri"
c) Make sure that you have the following two lines under Section "Device"
        Option  "ShadowFB"      "true"
        Option  "fbdev" "/dev/fb0"
d) Driver should be "ati" or "r128" or "radeon" depending on which chipset
you have.
e) The line that says Option "UseFBDev" MUST say "true" if X11 is to start
at all.
f) Make sure the Section "DRI" is present and uncommented.

3) Edit /etc/modprobe.conf so that other than the lines specific to your
machine, it looks exactly like:
http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2004-December/017228.html
Sound will then work, except in KDE. To get sound in KDE, recompile the
kernel with a .config that contains the following:
CONFIG_SOUND=m
# CONFIG_DMASOUND_PMAC is not set
# CONFIG_DMASOUND is not set
CONFIG_SND=m
CONFIG_SND_TIMER=m
CONFIG_SND_PCM=m
CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER=m
CONFIG_SND_OSSEMUL=y
CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS=m
CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=m
You will then tell KDE to use the Open Sound System. If you do not
recompile your kernel, use the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture, but
sound will be broken.