Network solutions

Rick_Thomas rbthomas at pobox.com
Fri Jan 7 23:12:40 MST 2005

I'm doing exactly what you want to accomplish.  Here's how I do it:

I have a machine running YellowDog 3.0.1, but a Fedora or Red Hat server
would do as well.

My machine runs "fetchmail" every so often from a cron job.  This
contacts the various POP3 servers of my email ISPs (in my case, AT&T
Worldnet, my Cable company, and my YDL/Enhanced account, but most of the
free email services like Gmail, Yahoo, etc run a POP3 service.).
Fetchmail then feeds the incoming mail items to sendmail on the same
server host.  I then use procmail for the fine-tuning work of sorting
things into various folders.

To read my mail, I run the imapd server, again on the same host as
above.

Various readers, such as Evolution and Mozilla (and even Outlook Express
on Windows!) can be configured to use imap to read mail.

This has the advantage that all my mail comes to one place and I can
read my mail from anywhere I happen to be at the time.

Hope this helps!

Rick