Install 4.0 on 3.0

Geert Janssens geert.janssens3 at pandora.be
Sat Jan 15 01:46:12 MST 2005

Eric Dunbar wrote:
> Some questions of my own:
>
> Will this procedure pull down a kernel appropriate for an OldWorld machine?

It should. The latest kernel packaged by YDL is 2.6.9-1.ydl.8 and I can
boot off my OldWorld G3 with it. It is in YDL's update repository, so
yum will install it.

> Does "installing in place" wreak havoc on the configuration of
> pre-existing server and PHP software (Apache (WebDAV), SMB and AFS
> file sharing, and Webalizer, Webmin and Gallery
> (<http://gallery.sourceforge.net/>))?

Making a backup of /etc (where most if not all system wide configuration
files are stored) before starting the update is always a good idea.

If the upgrade then modifies some configurations (sometimes necessary
for newer versions of some apps), you can always diff with your saved
config to get things working again.

Cheers,

Geert Jan