ipod

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Sat Jan 15 09:02:35 MST 2005

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 00:08:52 -0600, Andrew Zschetzsche wrote:

> I _think_ nothing will work for the music player part, since they rely
> pretty heavily on Apple's iTunes software; and obviously that doesn't exist
> under Linux.

Since when? The very first iPods played music under Windows long before
iTunes existed in that world, with zero Apple software and zero
modifications to the iPods.

> However, I do _think_ that they work as removable storage under Linux.  I
> thought I've heard of an iPod working just like a removable FireWire drive,
> and regarding the iPod Shuffle, I'm totally guessing.  The kernel would have
> to have the appropriate driver(s) loaded, and I have no idea what they would
> be.

Since the Shuffle is just a flash drive, I'm sure it would use the same
kernel drivers as any other flash drive, and YDL already works with those.