XFce4 4.2

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Sun Jan 16 19:47:52 MST 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-16 at 20:53, Andrew wrote:
>  XFce4 4.2 has been released and feature a cute graphical installer
> (read: Installation Wizard) Im loving it. Not only because it gave me
> the configuration options (with comprehensible descriptions, thanks)
> which include, among others, the ability to add itself into GDM's
> session menu but it also show a progess bar and report of the make
> process! with percentage, too!!
>
>  All is good but for one (there is always one) option:
> Composite (transparency) who ask for Xorg-6.8+
>
>  That said, I am very pleased and optimistic seeing XFce4's way of things.

I visited www.xfce.org and the interface does appeal to me.  But if all
that attracts you is the "progress bar and percentages, etc." you can
get that more efficiently and using less monitor real estate by using
gkrellm in ANY interface,even KDE. gkrellm reports on i/o, ethernet/ppp0
transactions, HD reads/writes across each and all disks, all and
individual processes, CPU statistics from user and system calls, Memory
and Swap, and reports total uptime, time date and kernel in use, and
host name.  Oh yes, and email accounts both remote and local!  If you
want split screens that can be done by right clicking and making
modifications as one pleases to that screen and

There are percentage values in each screen if one wants to see them just
left click on the screen.  Also the size of each window can be
controlled AND there are THEMES AND plug-ins!  One can have the sun and
or moon or both tracked with relevant statistics of rising and
settings,etc.  The thing even reports time including seconds in 12hr or
24hr format, there is even a plug-in to run SETI at home within it complete
with graphics.  It is quite a tool.  It reports everything the computer
or I am engaged in,including when I'm running make, etc.  The loads are
plainly right there in plain sight to see at all times.

Each person's choice of interface should be unique to one, but I thought
you might appreciate what gkrellm can do first before you choose a
feature set truly available in ANY interface one pleases via gkrellm.