XFce4 4.2

Andrew virgule88 at videotron.ca
Fri Jan 21 14:27:01 MST 2005

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 22:19:39 -0500
Andrew <virgule88 at videotron.ca> wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 20:53:59 -0500
> Andrew <virgule88 at videotron.ca> wrote:
>
> >  All is good but for one (there is always one) option:
> > Composite (transparency) who ask for Xorg-6.8+
>
>  I found two other problems: dependencies.
> Terminal-0.2.2 ask for:
>
> vte-0.11.11+		(we have 0.11.10)
> dbus-glib-0.22+		(we have 0.20-4.1)
>
>  So Terminal-0.2.2 will not build off a 'stock' YDL4 installation.

Another problem found but I have a (easy) fix right here!

Desktop Switching Tool (switchdesk) was failling to set the new XFce4 as the default WM
for GDM to use. It toughts xfce it was not installed:

  ]$ switchdesk
Red Hat Linux switchdesk 4.0
Copyright (C) 1999-2004 Red Hat, Inc
Redistributable under the terms of the GNU General Public License
ERROR: XFCE not installed!

..along a warning dialog stating switchdesk might not have been installed properly...

I know they are both (xfce and switchdesk) installed properly. XFce4 is invoked by
"startxfce4". This executable live in /usr/local/bin/

I examined Xclients.xfce file found in /usr/share/switchdesk/...

<snip>
WMPATH="/usr/bin /usr/X11R6/bin /usr/local/bin"
<snip>

I figured out it was looking first in /usr/bin but couldnt locate the wanted file
(xtartxfce4 - which is in /usr/local/bin/) making it think xfce was not installed at all.

I fixed it with a simple symlink:

  ]$ su -c 'ln -s /usr/local/bin/startxfce4 /usr/bin/startxfce4'
.. and just to be sure:
  ]$ su -c 'ln -s /usr/local/bin/startxfce4 /usr/X11R6/startxfce4'

switchdesk updated its stuffs properly and XFce4 is now the default session in GDM.