gcjwebplugin

Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. joseph_sacco at comcast.net
Fri Jan 21 14:28:02 MST 2005

OK... I have separate installation of gcc-3.4.3 installed under
/usr/local/gcc/3.4.3 and I am willing to take a look.

Let's see...

* download and unpack the source

* set environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH per INSTALL instructions
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/gcc/3.4.3/lib/pkgconfig:
/usr/lib/pkgconfig [ignore the line wrap]

* set environment variable PATH to pick up 3.4.3
PATH=/usr/local/gcc/3.4.3/bin:$PATH

* make sure ldconfig knows about libraries in /usr/local/gcc/3.4.3/lib

* run "configure"

* run "make"

* run "make check"
	=>> 26/27 tests fail

Oops... need to look into why. Maybe it's something simple like a
classpath issue.

* run "make install" for laughs

* bring up mozilla-1.7.3

* check plugins

        GCJ web browser plug-in 0.3.1

        File name: libgcjwebplugin.so
        The GCJ web browser plug-in executes Java applets in Mozilla and
        other web browsers.

                       [29 different mime types listed]

Hmmm.... Mozilla actually "sees" the plugin.

Time to do some digging.  Be back in a while...

-Joseph

I downloaded the source
On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 02:10, Daniel Gimpelevich wrote:
> Perhaps it is too early for me to start a discussion about this, but YDL
> users are long overdue for what this program provides. Blackdown Java is
> too old to work with any current web browser, and the only other choice is
> IBM Java, which only provides a browser plugin for i386. People have
> gotten gcjwebplugin to work with IBM Java, so it's ideal for YDL. The
> problem is that YDL4 uses gcc 3.3.3, and gcjwebplugin absolutely requires
> 3.4 if not 3.5 to work. My hope is that just as soon as YDL gets a newer
> gcc that works, RPMs and HOWTOs of gcjwebplugin for IBM Java will follow.
>
> http://www.nongnu.org/gcjwebplugin/

joseph_sacco[at]comcast[dot]net