Ever Increasing Fan Speed and Dual G5 2 gig machine under YDL 4.0

Kevin B.Hendricks kevin.hendricks at sympatico.ca
Sat Jan 29 12:15:47 MST 2005

Hi,

Recently I upgraded from my dual G4 machine to a dual G5 machine and
thought now would be a good time to upgrade from YDL 3.1 to YDL 4.0.

So I bought a second sata drive and installed it in my dual G5 (2.0 gig
machine) and installed YDL 4.0 on it.
The graphical installer failed in numerous places (after partitioning,
after manual fixed ethernet setting with a firewall message, while
copying install image, etc, it seems the mount points I entered were
never properly being set. for some reason so perhaps I messed up
someplace.

Luckily I was able to run "install-g5 text" and it worked like a charm
with partiioning and the works.

When I reboot, I can start up into linux just fine (see the dual
penguins, etc) but my computer's fan seems to always be increasing in
intensity until it literally screams.  You can't sit beside the machine
without immediately getting a headache! (it screamed like that all
through the install process as well).

I assume this problem is specific to YDL 4.0 and some Dual G5 machines?

The install was done with YDL 4.0, orion 20041107 images which were the
latest I could find on my YDL enhanced net account.

Is this a known problem?  Is there a new kernel or new install images
that have a kernel that properly controls the fan speed on this model?

Any help or hints greatly appreciated.

Also I need to move a lot of data from ext3 partitions on pci based ata
drives (taken out of my old dual G4)  to the new serial ata drive I
added.  Do external firewire drive enclosures work with YDL 4.0?  Can
anyone recommend a good place to get firewire external drive enclosures
for ata drives?  If not, are there any pcix ata drive cards that are
supported?

Thanks,

Kevin