Ever Increasing Fan Speed and Dual G5 2 gig machine under YDL 4.0

Owen Stampflee ostampflee at terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jan 29 21:26:30 MST 2005

> Recently I upgraded from my dual G4 machine to a dual G5 machine and
> thought now would be a good time to upgrade from YDL 3.1 to YDL 4.0.
Cool.

> So I bought a second sata drive and installed it in my dual G5 (2.0 gig
> machine) and installed YDL 4.0 on it.
> The graphical installer failed in numerous places (after partitioning,
> after manual fixed ethernet setting with a firewall message, while
> copying install image, etc, it seems the mount points I entered were
> never properly being set. for some reason so perhaps I messed up
> someplace.
Strange, cant say I've seen this before.

> Luckily I was able to run "install-g5 text" and it worked like a charm
> with partiioning and the works.
>
> When I reboot, I can start up into linux just fine (see the dual
> penguins, etc) but my computer's fan seems to always be increasing in
> intensity until it literally screams.  You can't sit beside the machine
> without immediately getting a headache! (it screamed like that all
> through the install process as well).
>
> I assume this problem is specific to YDL 4.0 and some Dual G5 machines?
Yeah, we were the first to support these machines and at the time of the
release, we had no thermal support.

> The install was done with YDL 4.0, orion 20041107 images which were the
> latest I could find on my YDL enhanced net account.
>
> Is this a known problem?  Is there a new kernel or new install images
> that have a kernel that properly controls the fan speed on this model?

The solution is to yum update, and then edit your /etc/yaboot.conf, and
run ybin.

> Any help or hints greatly appreciated.
>
> Also I need to move a lot of data from ext3 partitions on pci based ata
> drives (taken out of my old dual G4)  to the new serial ata drive I
> added.  Do external firewire drive enclosures work with YDL 4.0?  Can
> anyone recommend a good place to get firewire external drive enclosures
> for ata drives?  If not, are there any pcix ata drive cards that are
> supported?
I'd recommend any firewire enclosure... as far as I know, they're all
the same. Unlike in YDL 3.0.1, firewire is fairly easy in 4.0 (we're
actually working on making anaconda install to firewire drives for 4.1).