Building a 2.6 kernel

Bill Mueller bmueller at terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jan 31 17:46:51 MST 2005

> 'Had to update the kernel - built Owen's new 2.6.8 from source'

The howto is getting a little old.  I plan on getting RPMS done sometime
soon.

> I'm willing to do that - but have a couple of questions -
> a - can I just use the YDL 4 kernel?

Yes.  You just need the sources of the kernel you are currently
running to build the modules against.

> b - if not where should I get it (or an even newer one) from?
> c - Can I just boot a 2.6 kernel in 3.01? or am I going to run
>      into trouble with existing stuff expecting 2.4

Might.  Depends if you are running a 2.6 kernel already.  Think the init
scripts need to be updated to run 2.6 from a 2.4 system.  Not sure.

> d - can I build a newer 2.4 kernel instead? seems like less disruption

Yes.  See above.

> PS  No, I don't want to update to YDL 4 at this time.

Ok. but when I get around to build the SRPMS, you might miss out.