Compiling PHP on G5

C.J. Harris cjharrisr66t at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 6 13:13:44 MDT 2005

I been having a problem now for a couple of weeks, With the yum installed version of apache, I been trying to compile php with various options such as with gettext and mysql support. But no matter what flags I configure php with, It builds properly without errors but once installed Apache will not start and complains with the error

Syntax error on line 6 of /etc/httpd/conf.d/php.conf:
Cannot load /usr/lib/httpd/modules/libphp4.so into server:
/usr/lib/httpd/module
s/libphp4.so: R_PPC_REL24 relocation at 0x0ddcf97c for symbol `signal'
out of range

Has any one ever had this error? Does anyone know what to do in this case?
I have tried this with php 4.3.11, 5.0.4 and the most current snapshot same results every time.