unable to mount smb shares

Robert Story rstory-l at revelstone.com
Wed Jul 6 20:18:53 MDT 2005

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 13:12:11 -0700 administrator at emerald.ucsd.edu wrote:
AUE> I can access SMB shares from a Windows domain controller in KDE (using
AUE> smb://), however always get an Access Denied error when I try to mount
AUE> using "mount -t smbfs -o username=..." from the command line. Identical
AUE> command line on a PC Mandrake linux system with Samba 3.0 works fine. Any
AUE> ideas what might be wrong?

Yeah, a gcc bug breaks passwords.. you need to rebuild the rpm.. here is an old
thread:

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 00:46:41 -0400
From: xlargebear at bellsouth.net
To: Yellow Dog Linux General Discussion List
<yellowdog-general at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com>
Subject: Re: SMB problems... Fwd: SMB fileserver

Eric
It worked. Amazing, I almost lose all my hair over this.
It must be said that security = share won't work, only security =
user. It's been said that Tiger would not allow share and unencrypted
passwords. I modified my smb.conf to now say
         encrypt passwords = yes
         security = user
I was also having problems with an existing user. Deleting it with
smbpasswd -x user and then adding it back again with smbpasswd -a
user allowed that user to be able to connect again.
Thanks a lot for your patience since I know you had previously
answered my call for help. I just was afraid to use those commands
since I always install from source with ./configure, make and make
install.
Ej