Install on a second drive

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Sun Jul 10 12:14:12 MDT 2005

On Jul 10, 2005, at 1:23 PM, Marvin Weide wrote:

> Thank you for your quick reply. When I boot Yellow Dog holding down
> the "C",
> YD asks to erase the drive! (I assume it means my internal with OS not
> the
> second drive) My real question is how do I get YD to install on the
> second
> drive partition 1?

Hi Marvin:
Details ... always, details.

OK. To the point:

The "c" key is depressed as the Mac boots up.  The YDL installation
disk will be accessed by yaboot, if it is in your drive.  IF it is not
in your drive yaboot should take you to the YDL that is already
installed.  You should not depress the "Ctrl -c" key combination within
YDL or any Linux or unix as it could be construed to be "Ctrl c" which
means quit everything or in some cases wipe out everything.

Along with what I explained before, YDL cannot be installed into any
partition which it doesn't see as existing or available.  This means
that from the Mac OS you had to use Apple's Disk Utility to create a
Free partition which would have destroyed ALL partitions which means
that BEFORE even this step you should have backed up your Mac OS and
all the documents there.  YDL will see that Free partition and use it
to create Linux partitions in various amounts; you can control this
best manually within YDL during the install process before mount points
are assigned.  If you are completely baffled, I recommend getting the
YDL manuals published by Terra Soft which discuss the necessary details
as to what each partition is necessary and where the mount points
should be placed, etc.  If you are not designing or programming
something completely unique requiring extreme tolerances of accuracy
regarding where exactly on your drive the mount point is placed; you
could allow YDL to automatically install itself.  However, you still
need to have had created the Free partitions prior to this.

The Free partition should be your second partition on any drive.
Unless you mean how do you create Free partition on the second drive.
The directions for creating a Free partition are pretty much the same
for any drive from within using the Apple Disk Utility.  Naming the
mount points and setting the sizes are the problems faced and resolved
during the YDL installation process just before the various linux
packages are selected to be installed.  YDL 4 should be able to run
from either USB or Firewire drives; if you are fortunate you'll have a
drive with both ports.  Check with Terra Soft Solutions; check their
website.

Best wishes....