MOL and "sheep" module

Brian Wood beww at bresnan.net
Sun Jul 17 21:32:29 MDT 2005

Much thanks to you both for the quick response.

Unfortunately these are the same RPMs that I have been using. I tried
them from the sources you suggested just in case but no change in the
results.

The "missing sheep" error is still with me but I am beginning to think
that it is not my real problem. The docs say that sheep is only required
for appletalk, which I do not need. The tun driver is getting set up,
(ifconfig shows the interface) and since that's what's needed for TCP/IP
it should be all I need.

After the complaint about the missing sheep I get "Could not connect to
X server, fullscreen video on VT 8", the system switches to console
video, which shows some ATI Mach64 register values, presumably from boot
up, and then just stops, several CTRL-C's being necessary to get back to
the X display.

I've tried switching virtual consoles. I think I have /etc/molrc.video
set up correctly. I have run xhost + so there should be no access
control on the X screen,  I'm running "startmol" as root, but still nogo.

Other than the "unable to connect to X server and "failed to register
sound card" startmol --test shows "successful", so the basic engine
seems to be working.
Looks like atyfb is setting up video parameters and then all of a sudden
it just dumps debug register values. Must be a problem of some sort with
video.  This may be related to the fact that the "rev A" iMac has only
2Mb. of video RAM. MacOS runs just fine by itself though.

I'll keep plugging away, again much thanks for the assistance, it is
appreciated.