When bad things happen to good Mac's [OT]

Mark Guertin guertin at brucemaudesign.com
Wed Jul 20 23:19:58 MDT 2005

Just wanted to chime in on a few things from this thread..

These 3 utils are all very different beasts (mostly anyway).

Diskwarrior doesn't repair your files, it rebuilds the file catalogs
by analyzing the files in their current states.  It's the only tool
out there that I know of that takes this approach, and in most cases
it will get you back to working order most promptly with the least
chances at major damage (it doesn't try to fix the damaged files --
which more often than not will leave you dead in the water if they
were important ones that were semi functional hehe).  It also allows
you to preview the newly built files before committing.  I'd be
surprised if there wasn't also a way to roll it back before you make
any disk commits, but sadly that doesn't seem to be part of the app
bundle :/

Daniel, if you blew away the OS9 patch partitions with Drive Genius
there's a good reason why you can't boot OS9 anymore.  pdisk can put
the partitions back in place but the drivers required are not
installed by pdisk because the boot driver is proprietary to apple
and is required for OS9 to be able to boot the media (and the main
reason why oldworld can't boot linux from a cdrom as this also
requires apple's proprietary code).  The only free (as in speech)
tool I know of that can do this is mkisofs which won't help you much
in this situation as it can only be used to make bootable cd media
which uses a slightly different approach to the drives .. and not
sure that mkisofs can even do this anymore :(

You might have some success booting that drive from OS9 again if you
can get into any OS9 that is running and mount the drive, and then
using apple's drive setup program tell it to "update" the drivers on
that disk (which should be non destructive in theory, YMMV)... in
some cases it might also need a tiny bit more unpartitioned space on
the drive to put in extra patch partitions (which is also why apple
always left a bit of unpartitioned space on factory drive setups  pre
OSX to allow for future driver updates/addons).

Techtool uses it's own hfs/hfs+ repair tools to do the dirty work
(and not fsck, which I bet drive genius does -- probably why neither
fsck or drive genius could fix the damage).  Again the now gone
Norton Disk Doctor had yet another set of repair tools.  These apps
take a different approach than Diskwarrior, in fact the opposite.
They look at the catalogs and then try to match up all the files in
the filesystem to them, repairing things as found and needed, and
they do a muc more in depth scan of the files themselves and rarely
touch the catalogs.  have you ever seen the screen in Disk Doctor
that dumped you into the "filesaver" mode?  That basically meant that
the catalogs were corrupted beyond repair and it did the  diskwarrior
type thing to try and find any files that were intact...

Drive Genius is different again in that it's a front end for a bunch
of command line type tools (check inside the .app bundle) that allow
you to do things that OSX and these other tools don't necessarily let
you do, like repartition without destroying your data... or break
things if you tell it to ;)

I fix macs pretty much for a living and I have all these tools in my
toolkit (plus some others, like applejack) and they have all pulled
the bacon from the fire so to speak at different times over many
different OS versions ;)

Anyway, just wanted to toss some more info into the thread.

Mark