software change of tty?

Stefan Jeglinski jeglin at 4pi.com
Fri Jul 29 11:24:17 MDT 2005

One is supposed to be able to switch consoles with a keystroke
combination, usually clover-control-FkeyN IIRC. Sometimes this works,
sometimes not, and seems to have varied over the years going back to
the early Linux/PPC distributions I've run. It seems to vary from
machine to machine, and from time to time on one machine. (in this
case I'm not using the latest and greatest, we're talking older 604
machines with G3 upgrades, adb keyboards, YDL3/yum-updated, and
runlevel 3 only).

I'm less interested in hacking through and fixing the root cause. I'm
more interested if there is a workaround, like a command I can do in
one console that switches me to another. Does a suite of commands for
tty manipulation exist? I aproposed tty and googled a bit, but came
up blank.

Stefan Jeglinski