Another angle on FC4.ppc -- maybe ...

Bear Tooth Beartooth at adelphia.net
Fri Jul 29 09:49:01 MDT 2005

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, Rick Thomas wrote:

> Hi Beartooth,
>
> Remember to check the md5 checksum of the ISOs after you download
> them, and before burning them.

 	Did that -- with downloads from RedHat. Then used K3B,
telling it DAO and Verify Written, which I believe uses the md5;
what I had used on the downloads was a sha1 check.

> Look in <ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/iso/>
>
> the 4.0.1 iso's (the ones you want to use -- the 4.0 ISOs are broken) are
[....]
 	Misapprehension: it's Fedora Core 4 I'm trying to install,
not YellowDog, which I've been running for years -- exclusively
(i.e., w/o OSX) since 3.0.

 	But I tripped repeatedly over the apple bootstrap partition,
and had to re-install YDL 4.0 (from Terrsaoft CDs, not downloads of
mine) twice to make the machine bootable at all.

 	And I'm now very thoroughly disgusted, though I'm not
entirely sure with what.

 	The never to be sufficiently accursed machine
refuses to boot my triple-checked Fedora CDs -- the third such set
-- at all, at all, even though it boots the YDL CDs fine.

 	So I tried to update it, hoping whatever trouble it has
might've gotten fixed in the meantime. yum update failed. Then I
remembered a post here from Andrew on 7/16, saying :

> I am confident all you need to do is to add an exclude= line in
yum.conf:

> exclude=kernel-g5 kernel-g5-smp

 	So I put that into /etc/yum.conf as bottom line of the first
section, and tried again. It said right off it would install kernel
2.6.10-1.ydl.1.ppc -- and the test transaction succeeded this time.

 	So it looks like the update problem is fixed; thanks,
Andrew! That's a big consolation, especially if I do have to keep
running what is essentially FC2 instead of FC4.

 	The big question is whether the up to date YDL4 will manage
to install, or even boot, FC4.ppc any better than before. Or more
precisely, whether it's even worth trying. Any bets??

 	Frankly, the repair I *want* to do at this point requires
only a good solid stump -- and a sixteen-pound sledghammer.

--
Beartooth Old Fart, Double Retiree, Neo-Redneck, Linux Convert
Remember, I have precious little idea what I am talking about.