Another angle on FC4.ppc -- maybe ...

Bear Tooth Beartooth at adelphia.net
Fri Jul 29 13:36:02 MDT 2005

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, Eric Dunbar wrote:

> Have you perhaps considered Ubuntu? It's a single CD distro
> (Debian-based) and pulls all the updates off the web (it's
> advisable that you have a "fat" pipe (i.e. more than a 56 K modem)
> available to you when you install Ubuntu).

 	Well, yes, I have, a little; and I suppose I could get used
to running apt a/o synaptic instead of yum and occasional rpms,
despite being a dyed in the wool RH/Fedora/YDL type. Otoh, I'm not
only permanently subtechnoid; I don't really *want* to learn much
more than it takes to have a decent understanding of what I'm doing
-- there are too many other things I want to fit into whatever time
I have left. Besides, and more important, the comments I've been
seeing in places like this list haven't, on the whole, seemed very
encouraging.

 	In fact, one reason for shifting from YDL to plain Fedora
(if I can) is that there are more people running it: I can spread my
Very Dumb Questions around farther, and not feel quite so much like
the resident supplicant ...

 	But the biggest reason is that all my other machines (except
for an XP one for GPS/topo/satellite-pix stuff, which I rarely even
boot) are happily running FC4. I've grown mighty tired of having as
many different OSs to keep running as I have machines -- if not
more: a couple used to be dual-boot. My fondest hope is that
standardization will make admin work a lot easier -- especially
since I'm the only poor substitute in the house for a sysadmin.

 	That certainly worked with the iBook when I hosed OSX, and I
don't see why it shouldn't more generally.

--
Beartooth Oldfart, Double Retiree, Neo-Redneck, Linux Convert
Remember, I have precious little idea what I am talking about.