Fedora 4 on a 2Ghz PowerMac

Dale E. Bush debush at debush.com
Wed Jul 27 02:14:00 MDT 2005

Fedora 4 installed with no problems on a 2GHz G5 Powermac, with a 64 bit
kernel.  The sound was configured for OSS in the KDE sound configuration
and then worked without any other changes.

XMMS worked after downloading from Fedora extras; CD and mp3's played fine.

Thunderbird was downloaded, but failed to run, it shuts down after
trying to start.  I'll need to get the source and try compiling.

Xine was downloaded from freshrpms.net, but it failed to execute (a
pointer problem keep occuring).  Eventually the source for xine-lib and
xine was downloaded from freshrpms.net and compiled after changing the
version numbers in the patch files and running ./configuration with
--prefix=/usr and --exec-prefix=/usr (so that the libraries and
executable were installed into /usr/lib and /usr/bin respectively).
During compilation a large number of warning messages were observed.
However after installing xine, CD's and DVD movies played fine.

The freshrpm.net binaries probably were not compiled for a G5 and a 64
bit kernel (I really don't know, but execution of those binaries keep
creating a pointer problem and generating a traceback).

I hope YellowDog can release a more current distribution soon.

Dale E. Bush