Another angle on FC4.ppc -- maybe ...

Beartooth SenectoFlatuloid beartooth at adelphia.net
Thu Jul 28 13:04:24 MDT 2005

Someone on one of the Fedora lists posted this link :

http://www.redhat.com/magazine/007may05/features/mac-mini/

which talks about installing Fedora on Apple hardware.

The page above is written, bless it!, as something of an introduction for
non-apple-people to the oddities of installing a familiar system on
strange hardware -- which is very much my position, despite three years of
YDL, when it comes to putting FC4 onto our G3 iBook. (It's my wife's
machine, and I seldom use it.)

There are certainly a couple of things it tells you to do that I don't
believe I did, or did properly, in my spectacularly unsuccessful attempts
this past weekend -- such as not holding down C while booting FC4
Install-CD #1. (It did *seem* OK up to the end of that CD.)

And I think I must have messed up the "Apple Bootstrap" partition somehow;
at one point the machine wouldn't boot at all, and I had to re-install YDL
4.0 to get another start.

I hope it isn't too dumb to ask this: could such failures have produced
the specific show-stopper I reported here?

That causes the machine to react to every CD after the first by sneering
"That's not the right Fedora CD."

I made two copies of every single CD, on different machines from different
downloads -- plus two extra copies of #2 -- and got that sneer every time.

Also, once I knew only one #1, out of all the CDs in both batches, did
anything right, I tried doing FC4's disk check on each. The one that works
took a very long time to vet itself. Every one of the others got a quick
rejection, which seemed to be saying that some sum wasn't part of the CD's
name; I'm sorry I didn't get it exactly -- I was getting punchy by then ....

Anyway, let me ask this: is there any hope that the true problem is not
with the CDs themselves, but with something inconspicuously wrong with my
apparent success up till the end of CD #1? IOW, is it worth while to try
once more, with either set of the same CDs, but following that page?

Or had I might just as well download and burn all five ISOs yet another
time??

--
Beartooth Senectoflatuloid, Neo-Redneck, Linux Convert
Remember, I have precious little idea what I am talking about.