Questions from a new user

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Sat Jun 4 12:34:10 MDT 2005

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 01:22:05 +0800, Mark Philip wrote:

> Hi all,
> Just installed YDL 4.0.1 on my old PowerBook Pismo 400MHz.
> Got a couple of questions, hope you can help:
>
> I'm using KDE.
>
> 1) How do I change/edit the boot menu to change the default OS on boot
> to OSX? Currently it defaults to YDL after a few seconds.

The file you want to edit is /etc/yaboot.conf, and after you save changes,
you need to run "/sbin/ybin -v" with root privileges.

> 2) How do I play MP3s?

The really legal way is to install RealPlayer, but if you edit
/etc/yum.conf to include alternative installation sources for YDL4, you
can install add-on packages to xmms and other media players by using yum.

> 3) How do I configure audio on the Pismo? Currently I do hear system
> sounds, but there is a loud 'PSSSST' sound before the default tone sound.

There are some posts in the archives of this mailing list by Joseph Sacco
that talk about the correct sound configuration for most machines in the
file /etc/modprobe.conf that should help somewhat. Just use the archive
search, looking for "problamo" [sic].

> 4) How do I emulate the right-click whilst using the Apple single mouse
> button?

There is a file in the /etc/sysconfig folder that controls which keys
emulate the other buttons. The default is either F10 for middle and F11
for right, or F11 for middle and F12 for right (which wouldn't work on a
Pismo).

> 5) What do you recommend for syncing with a Palm and also for a Palm
> Desktop-like application?

If you use KOrganizer and want to sync with that, iSync-style, use KPilot.
If you use Evolution, the equivalent would be gnome-pilot. If you prefer a
Palm Desktop-like app instead of an iSync-like one, there is JPilot.

> Thanks in advance.
> Mark (Singapore).

Feel free to ask for any clarifications.