KDE audio (was Re: JRE on 4.0.1)

Adam W. Lent adam.lent at telemedia.net
Thu Jun 16 22:22:34 MDT 2005

Would you think that these changes are necessary, given that I have not
experienced any other audio related issues in KDE.  In fact, when I
first did the 4.0.1 ISO install, audio did not work properly.  A day or
two later I did an rpm update KDE* and a number of KDE related items
were updated (approx 6).  After this, all sound worked fine.  The only
sound issues are accompanied by the lack of Java applet execution while
in Konqueror or via the Terminal.  I'd hate to mess things further.
Interestingly, I noticed that the Konqueror settings menu has an option
to "Enable Java Globally" and has a path to the Java executable.
Believing that this may be in conflict with the /etc/profile.d/java.sh
file along with the PATH=$PATH:/opt/IBMJava2-ppc-142/bin, I deleted
java.sh.  I received the same applet progress in the Konqueror Java
Console as when the PATH was specified in the java.sh file.  However, if
I put the java.sh path back in place and deselected the "Enable Java
Globally" option, Java execution is completely disabled within
Konqueror.  Is it possible that there are permissions problems with the
Java JRE and or the PATH setting in the etc/ directory?  Something must
be our of order here.  Thanks for your continued help with this.

--

Daniel Gimpelevich sent the following on 6/16/05 11:44 AM: