JRE on 4.0.1

Adam W. Lent adam.lent at telemedia.net
Fri Jun 17 02:51:25 MDT 2005

After numerous test runs, I have determined the following (at least of
this system install of 4.0.1 with all YDL yum updates).

Changed File: /profile.d/java.sh to reflect
PATH=$PATH:/opt/IBMJava2-ppc-1xx/jre/bin
(Yellowdog HOWTO did not have "jre" in front of "bin".)
No processor type line, since machine is PPC750.

GNOME environment (logged in as user)
Applets load in a separate window.

1.3.1 sound ok, video ok, dragable window
1.4.1 sound ok, video ok, modal window
1.4.2 sound ok, video ok, modal window

KDE Environment (logged in as user)
Java execution is displayed in the Java Console, but no window is opened up.

1.3.1 sound ok, video none
1.4.1 sound ok, video none
1.4.2 sound no, video none

It appears that the current Java support, through ydl 4.0.1, is
requiring a new and separate window be opened for the applet to run
within.  This is external to the Konqueror browser.  This is operating
via GNOME, however JRE 1.4.1 and 1.4.2 have modal windows "attached" to
the upper left corner of the screen.  KDE is not allowing these windows
to open.  I tried a default root user log-in, with KDE, and the result
was the same.  If anyone has any suggestions for modifying KDE in some
way which will allow these windows to open, I'd greatly appreciate any
input!  Thanks!!

Adam W. Lent sent the following on 6/17/05 12:22 AM: