KDE audio (was Re: JRE on 4.0.1)

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Fri Jun 17 11:39:25 MDT 2005

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 01:22:34 -0400, Adam W. Lent wrote:

> Would you think that these changes are necessary, given that I have not
> experienced any other audio related issues in KDE.  In fact, when I
> first did the 4.0.1 ISO install, audio did not work properly.  A day or
> two later I did an rpm update KDE* and a number of KDE related items
> were updated (approx 6).  After this, all sound worked fine.  The only

The 2.6.10-1.ydl.1 kernel provides both OSS and ALSA drivers. What is most
likely happening is that the OSS drivers are being loaded and not ALSA.
This works on many machines because most Linux programs can accommodate a
variety of sound output systems, including OSS, ALSA, esd, and aRts. OSS
drivers tend to work at a somewhat lower level in the kernel than their
ALSA counterparts, and this legacy mechanism doesn't get updated much to
continue to be fully compatible with updates to the 2.6 kernel. ALSA can
mimic OSS so that no OSS driver is needed. Anybody who runs a 2.6 kernel
is better off using ALSA and ALSA's emulation of OSS, and not loading OSS
at all, except of course when using a sound chipset that only supports OSS.

> sound issues are accompanied by the lack of Java applet execution while
> in Konqueror or via the Terminal.  I'd hate to mess things further.
> Interestingly, I noticed that the Konqueror settings menu has an option
> to "Enable Java Globally" and has a path to the Java executable.

If java.sh is set up properly, the path to the executable should simply be
"java" in Konq. Once it works that way, try it both globally enabled and
not globally enabled.

> Believing that this may be in conflict with the /etc/profile.d/java.sh
> file along with the PATH=$PATH:/opt/IBMJava2-ppc-142/bin, I deleted
> java.sh.  I received the same applet progress in the Konqueror Java
> Console as when the PATH was specified in the java.sh file.  However, if
> I put the java.sh path back in place and deselected the "Enable Java
> Globally" option, Java execution is completely disabled within
> Konqueror.  Is it possible that there are permissions problems with the
> Java JRE and or the PATH setting in the etc/ directory?  Something must
> be our of order here.  Thanks for your continued help with this.

Permissions problems are unlikely if everything works as a non-root user
under GNOME. Perhaps KDE is set to block popups too aggressively?