Video card debugging info (Mach64, Beige G3)- how to turn it off (Beige G3, YDL 4.0.1 and kernel 2.6.10-1)

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Sat Jun 18 17:22:55 MDT 2005

Whenever the effect of turning on or off various options in any kernel
drivers is in doubt, the most definitive way to find out for sure is to
look at the kernel source code. I find that a highly convenient way to do
that is to point a browser to http://lxr.linux.no and just browse. Of
course, it's not as convenient to people who can't make heads or tails of
it, so I've now taken a look there regarding this issue myself. I have
some bad news: The only configurable way to turn off this undesirable
behavior is to turn off the DEBUG flag for the atyfb driver, but
unfortunately doing that would also disable all the code that implements
several certain ioctl calls to the driver, which would quite likely be a
very bad thing. My advice would be to just tolerate this ridiculous
verbosity as best you can. IMO, none of the possible solutions would be
worth your time or effort.