OT: Well, It's Official ...

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Wed Jun 22 10:28:33 MDT 2005

A very nice discussion regarding these topics together with very
possible scenarios of what may have occurred "beyond the public eye" is
presented by John Siracusa of Ars Technica.  If you choose to visit the
link, make sure also to select each pop-up so that you can review each
of the articles:

http://arstechnica.com/columns/mac/mac-20050607.ars/1

What is interesting is that for those who were focussed on the Mac
solely because of the processor, this means that forever more they will
be wedded to either YDL or IBM which is not bad company at all!  The
only downside I can see is that IBM is unlikely to use the PowerPC in a
laptop as Apple has done which means that an astute programmer really
coding on a PowerPC PB has a serious opportunity to develop a unique
niche market using YDL as his/her OS!  Hard work, of course, but that
is the nature of this area.  Sadly common users will be swimming
forever either between Windows or Mac OS, but at least this time the
competition will be on the same or nearly the same processor.  No more
leaps forward for them.

AIX, of  course, is the other OS which works on the PowerPC, but the
version of the PowerPC which IBM uses for AIX has components which are
not included in the version PowerPC version Apple used so that
transition may not be possible.  There might be a company interested in
going or upgrading from the Apple's PowerPC to IBM's PowerPC or it may
be just simpler to trade-in Apple's for IBM's PowerPC systems.  In any
event, none of these moves are for the "faint of heart".  What is
really sweet of course is that YDL's value actually increases... no
more need for Mac on Linux or other such stuff ...   In a sense coding
for serious computers always meant that whatever is coded for YDL also
ran on IBM's PowerPCs and that market was aways a much harder and more
demanding crowd to please ... in one sense that was always true since
the inception of Champion Server and the next offering which became YDL
and onwards.  In another sense, the IBM PowerPC market is now the only
market which remains interesting!

This is not the first time the Great Steve made an error, but at least
he is erring alongside the majority of the forces of market scale.
Still for those who are scientists and engineers the PowerPC is THE
place to be; the other chip of power worthy of the name isn't Intel,
it's Sun's SPARC!  Until Sun or IBM produce a similarly powered laptop,
the value and flexibility of the PowerPC laptop may become the next big
market thingy on ebay.
Time will tell, even so only the scientists and engineers will know for
sure.

So stick around YDL and welcome to a new flood of IBM PowerPC
participants to the list!

Too bad the future isn't what it used to be... but then again maybe it
never was!

Be well...