audio recording

John M. Wright jmw at chem.ucsd.edu
Tue Mar 1 01:08:19 MST 2005

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Owen Stampflee typed:

 > Subject: Re: modprobe.conf review
 >
 > Yeah, no Linux distro supports audio recording on the mac chipset. Get a
 > griffin imic todo recording.

Using audacity, I can do audio recording of line-level
signals using either the iMic or my Tibook's internal
sound chip (powermac snapper).  In fact, I am discovering
that recording through the internal chip is cleaner; the
iMic tends to produce random crackles and pops in the
recording.  I don't know wheter the fault lies in the
iMic, the USB connection, or ....?

Of course, only the iMic has an internal preamp to record
from microphone-level signals, which I haven't tried yet.

John Wright

 Dr. John M. Wright, Dept. of Chemistry & Biochemistry, M/S 0314, UCSD,
 La Jolla, CA 92093-0314; email: jwright at ucsd.edu; phone: 858-534-3049