SSH access to machine behind router

Matthew Page MPage at ciri.com
Tue Mar 1 12:50:04 MST 2005

Congratulations on getting the port forwarding to work.

What you might try for your ISP IP update problem is something like the
service that no-ip.com provides.  You can hit a URL such as
spanky.no-ip.com and it will forward to the correct / current IP of your
computer.  The current IP is updated from a program that runs on your
computer.  I think you can set how often it updates. Go to www.no-ip.com
for more details.

Anyway...  Food for thought.

Behalf
> Of Clinton MacDonald
> Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 10:43 AM
> To: Yellow Dog Linux General Discussion List
> Subject: Re: SSH access to machine behind router
>
> Gentlemen and Ladies:
>
> Thank you for your help and encouragement!
>
> B1smooth wrote:
> > Have you resolved your router issue? If not...post the model
> > number of your router and I'll tell you EXACTLY how to setup
> > fowarding for ssh.
>
> I report *SUCCESS*!
>
> As was hinted in this forum, the solution was quite easy, once I knew
> the trick. My router has a Web interface, and Port Forwarding was one
of
> the options. I chose to add a new port (port 22 for ssh was not one of
> the defaults), and typed in my primary machine's local IP address
> (192.168.0.2). Then, I waited until I got to work and typed "ssh
> 66.xxx.xxx.xxx" in the Terminal. I was rewarded with the RSA
> authentification dialog, then asked for my password. A quick "ls"
showed
> me my Mac OS X home directory. I can also transfer files using an SFTP
> client (Fugu for Mac OS X has my highest recommendation). I suppose
from
> the Mac OS X machine, I could ssh into my home Linux box for more fun
> and games (not yet tested).
>
> My only problem is with my ISP, who changes my IP address once or
twice
> an hour. I have a freeware Mac OS X widget called IPMenu that will
> e-mail updates of my IP address to a chosen address, so this is a
> partial solution. Does anyone know of a similar utility, widget, or
> script that would have similar functionality for YDL (or Mandrake)?
>
> Again, thanks!
>
> Best wishes,
> Clint
>
> --
> Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint DOT macdonald AT sbcglobal
DOT
> net>
> HINT: to Google archives, try  '<keywords>
site:terrasoftsolutions.com'