SSH access to machine behind router

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 18:26:34 MST 2005

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 13:43:25 -0600, Clinton MacDonald
<clint.macdonald at sbcglobal> wrote:
> My only problem is with my ISP, who changes my IP address once or twice
> an hour. I have a freeware Mac OS X widget called IPMenu that will
> e-mail updates of my IP address to a chosen address, so this is a
> partial solution. Does anyone know of a similar utility, widget, or
> script that would have similar functionality for YDL (or Mandrake)?

Hello Clint,

I've got a NetGear 614 802.11g wireless/wired router. The router has
an in-built option to update the IP automagically to dyndns.org.
Alternately, you could get an app for your YDL server which will
automagically update the IP address at one of the free dynamic IP
address solutions. My server is run at http://dunbar.myphotos.cc (one
of the domain names that dyndns.org uses). I've got another domain
name which itself points to dunbar.myphotos.cc which means I've got a
free custom "static" domain name on an ISP that only provides dynamic
IP ;-). I must say that dyndns.org is quite good -- in 5 months I've
never had a problem with the dyndns.org side of things.

PS keep this in mind for future reference: if your LAN ever gets reset
for some reason, the IP addys assigned by your router's DHCP server
may change which means any port forwarding you set up will end up
pointing to another computer ;). I've got my NetGear set to
dynamically allocate IP addys to most computers but for two of them
the router manually assigns (through DHCP) a "fixed" IP based on the
ethernet port's MAC address.

Eric.