[RANT] Why is KDE the default in YDL?

Jurvis LaSalle lasalle at bard.edu
Thu Mar 3 12:37:15 MST 2005

On Mar 3, 2005, at 11:48 AM, Thierry de Coulon supplicated to the
heavens:

> I must admit I'm hoping that some day we can just get rid of Aqua and
> install
> KDE atop Darwin, with some Aqua-on-KDE way to continue running the few
> Mac
> apps I really need.

This hack [ http://hacks.oreilly.com/pub/h/348 ] combined with your
favorite X11 environment
and favorite WM installed on OS X can make Aqua go away (that is if
you're fundamentally
opposed to using X11 in Full screen mode as a solution). If you use
fink.sf.net, they've
already got some of the more popular WMs packaged to be fink installed.
	I suspect that as more *nix geeks get powerbooks, we're going to start
seeing a lot more
nice hacks like this.  (maybe opendarwin will become more popular too!)

	I would *love* to see some way to do Aqua-on-KDE.  My biggest gripe
with Aqua is you can't
'ssh -XC host /Applications/Aqua.app &'.  VNC is such a kludge (but
kudos that Apple's shipping
a free cross-platform VNC server now- that should drive Tiger to be
more remote user friendly).
How could Apple design a WM in the late 90s and NOT think about remote
usage?!?!  X11 for *nix
and RDC for Windows both work much better than VNC...  my $.02

htgystta,
Jurvis LaSalle