Howto use Xnest

Jim Bauer jfbauer at comcast.net
Thu Mar 3 21:24:37 MST 2005

On Thursday 03 March 2005 20:34, Longman, Bill wrote:
> > > But why do I have to become root? Why can't I just start
> >
> > Xnest from my
> >
> > > running session? That's the problem. It's easy to hammer
> >
> > and chisel it
> >
> > > using root....

> > As non-root,
> >
> > Xnest :1 &
> > xterm -display :1
> >
> > worked for me.
>
> What does
>
>   xhost :1
>
> tell you?

xhost run from within the Xnest server....
"access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect"

However, I ran the above on another system and that one won't let me
connect to the Xnest X server.   Digging....

Ok, the following script worked (taken from
<http://dot.kde.org/988934998/988942946/988947089/> with a small fix.

==== begin ====
#!/bin/sh
MCOOKIE=$(mcookie)
xauth add $(hostname)/unix$1 . $MCOOKIE
xauth add localhost/unix$1 . $MCOOKIE
#startx /usr/bin/startkde -- /usr/X11R6/bin/Xnest $1
xinit /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -- /usr/X11R6/bin/Xnest $1
xauth remove $(hostname)/unix$1 localhost/unix$1
exit 0

Make the script executable and run it with the display to use for
the Xnest server (e.g. :1) as its only argument.  So if you
call the above script "nest", then run

./nest :1