YDL FAQ for Old world Macs

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 05:21:40 MST 2005

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 15:11:09 +0100, Geert Janssens
<geert.janssens3 at pandora.be> wrote:
> Well, I know it can be done too... I have personally installed and used YDL
> 4.0 on my OW mac before it died. The major issue was, that the kernel that
> shipped with YDL 4.0 couldn't boot OW macs. There is a newer kernel (2.6.10)
> in the yum repository now, that does boot (seeing the reports on this list).
> With this kernel, I would imagine installing (not upgrading!) boils down to:
>
> - Put the kernel in the Linux kernels folder in Mac OS
> - Put the install image on Mac OS
> - Configure BootX to use the above kernel and install image
> - Reboot and install.
> - Upon next reboot, tell BootX not to use the install image.
> - Possibly after boot into YDL, you may need to add
> alias eth0 bmac
> into /etc/modprobe.conf to get the builtin network controller to work (G3)
> - Additional tweaks are needed to get some sound, but they are not OW
> specific, but YDL4.0 specific.

For 4.0.0 (if it exists ;) I found that using the kernel available for
d/l from the G3 install instructions (URL posted to this list numerous
times) was better for installing than the newer one available through
yum. I'd done an upgrade-in-place and run into a few dependency
"issues" which compromised the quality of my install (the machine was
running but KDE couldn't run, period and GNOME was moderately broken).
I then did a full clean install (which still has some unresolved
issues, the most notable one being SMB not working) but needed to use
the boot RAM disk that I d/l from the clean install instructions page.

> Of course, the above is theoretical, I can't verify it anymore. It also deals
> with a fresh install. Upgrading is much more difficult, because of deeply
> nested dependency issues. (As a sidenote, Suse Linux on x86 has really
> figured out how to make this kind of version upgrades childsplay, hats off).

#@$@#$ dependencies. Debian (ahem, "that distro that dare not speak
its name") seems to be doing a good job of updating/upgrading-in-place
as well (my system is become more stable and less buggy with each
update/upgrade... problems I thought were caused by me seem to have
been magically fixed... now if only Evolution would be polished up a
little more I'd be a 100% happy camper).

Eric.