Hot Sync Palm OS device

Kenneth Browne kbrowne at alumni.umass.edu
Mon Mar 7 19:24:37 MST 2005

sloopy wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 21:25, Kenneth Browne wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I'm running YDL 4.0 on a G4 400 Mhz with 512 RAM and have lots of
>>questions and problems trying to sync my Palm device.

-snipped-

> yeah i have a Keyspan USA-19Q usb<->serial adaptor i use with a palm III
> device... the sync'ing is now done in OSX but i had tried it in linux
> and it did work, you just need to find out what device the serial/usb
> adaptor is, and then link /dev/pilot to it...
>
> in order to tell what device it is, you need to look in the dmesg for
> it... i dont rem which it is but it is probly something like /dev/ttySO1
>
> sloopy.

Checked the link Daniel sent and couldn't follow the instructions
completely but used /dev/usb/USBtty0 in the preferences of GPilot and
was able to sync, but the desktop application where the data should show
up is missing.

Then I did a yum remove and install of all gpilot associated stuff and
it seemed to work, but still no desktop.

I also installed via yum the jpilot app and got it to sync using the
same setup. Unfortunately I setup jpilot as root and when I tried to
duplicate it as user it balked.

My adapter cable is some noname device but if you'll give me a little
help on where to find dmesg I'll see how it's ID'd.

Thanks for help so far. I'm making progress! Gpilot created a MyPilot
folder in Home and it appears to have backed up a lot of data besides
the basic Palm apps. Does that mean that if I had to do a hard reset
that I'd be able to recover all the data for the other applications?