Hot Sync Palm OS device add: email clients

Kenneth Browne kbrowne at alumni.umass.edu
Tue Mar 8 17:27:44 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 02:25, Daniel Gimpelevich wrote:
> You have established that your device can sync over /dev/usb/ttyUSB0, so
> the info from dmesg is moot. Give the following few commands as root now
> to make life a little easier:
> chmod 0666 /dev/usb/ttyUSB0
> ln -s usb/ttyUSB0 /dev/pilot
> ln -s usb/ttyUSB0 /dev/visor
> ln -s usb/ttyUSB0 /dev/palm
> What program do you intend to use as your PIM? If you intend to use
> KOrganizer or the KDE programs, install KPilot. If you intend to use
> Evolution or the GNOME programs, install GPilot. JPilot is like the Palm
> Desktop in that it is self-contained.

Well, I'm trying out Ximian Evolution. I use Thunderbird under OSX and
on my PC laptop for email and have installed it under YDL, but for some
reason I can't get it accepted as my 'default' for mailto: links. I'm
pretty sure Evolution is in the pull down menu as a preferred
application and since it also syncs data from my Visor I think I'll
probably go with Evolution.

What other Gnome program is there comparable to the JPilot/Palm desktop?
I thought GPilot was such but it seems to be simply a mechanism to sync
data which can then be used by other apps. Is that correct?

I like to play with Tagzilla in Thunderbird. Is there a tagline
extension for Evol?

--
clacking the keys in Old Sturbridge Village, MA