IBM JDK 1.4.2 and Yellow Dog Linux (YDL) 4.0

Geert Janssens geert.janssens3 at pandora.be
Wed Mar 9 09:37:44 MST 2005

On Wednesday 9 March 2005 15:55, Ian Rogers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just been chasing a bug whose solution is described at:
> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-pow-apple.html
> Namely if you have a G4 processor (such as in an iBook) the CPU
> detection code of the IBM JDK will set itself up as an IBM PowerPC 970
> and cause a SIGILL such as:
>
> JVMDG217: Dump Handler is Processing Signal 4 - Please Wait.
> JVMDG303: JVM Requesting Java core file
> JVMDG304: Java core file written to
> [...]/classpath/classpath/javacore.20050309.120918.18401.txt
> JVMDG215: Dump Handler has Processed Exception Signal 4.
>
> This is remedied by setting the environment variable JITC_PROCESSOR_TYPE
> to 6, i.e:
>
> export JITC_PROCESSOR_TYPE=6

This solution was mentioned more than once on this list shortly after IBM JDK
1.4.2 became available. It's a pity you missed it here, or in the archives.

This is such a little bugger that would make a nice faq entry at sharplabs.
Bill, Norberto, Clint ? Any takers ?

> Given this is a known problem, and finding the solution is non-obvious
> (even given the article above), is it possible for yum to
> download/install the IBM JDK for you and go about setting this variable
> for you? My hope is that other users can avoid the head ache I've had
> solving this problem. Thanks,

I don't know of a way to install the IBM JDK via yum. It's not in any
repository I know of. Sorry.

Cheers,

Geert Jan