IBM JDK 1.4.2 and Yellow Dog Linux (YDL) 4.0

Ian Rogers ian.rogers at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Mar 9 07:55:33 MST 2005

Hi,

I've just been chasing a bug whose solution is described at:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-pow-apple.html
Namely if you have a G4 processor (such as in an iBook) the CPU
detection code of the IBM JDK will set itself up as an IBM PowerPC 970
and cause a SIGILL such as:

JVMDG217: Dump Handler is Processing Signal 4 - Please Wait.
JVMDG303: JVM Requesting Java core file
JVMDG304: Java core file written to
[...]/classpath/classpath/javacore.20050309.120918.18401.txt
JVMDG215: Dump Handler has Processed Exception Signal 4.

This is remedied by setting the environment variable JITC_PROCESSOR_TYPE
to 6, i.e:

export JITC_PROCESSOR_TYPE=6

Given this is a known problem, and finding the solution is non-obvious
(even given the article above), is it possible for yum to
download/install the IBM JDK for you and go about setting this variable
for you? My hope is that other users can avoid the head ache I've had
solving this problem. Thanks,

Ian Rogers