YUM upgrade from 2.0 to 2.2

Geert Janssens geert.janssens3 at pandora.be
Wed Mar 9 10:15:55 MST 2005

On Wednesday 9 March 2005 17:58, Kristo SovereignX wrote:
> How do I upgrade my yum 2.0.7 to 2.2?  I guess it does not happen
> automatically with basic yum updates.  Or must I select it in some root
> folder?  Newer YUM versions at:
> http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/download.ptml

I suppose you are using YDL. Then it's best to use yum as it comes with YDL.
Certainly if you are a newbie. When YDL ships a new release, it will probably
contain a newer version of yum also.

> While checking on "yum list"  I see lots of packages not yet installed.
> . . XMMS being one of them!   I imagine I installed the basics
> originally.  As a newbie, is it best for me to just install all of them
> at this time?  I do not want to develop though.  Is that a lot of disk
> space used for apps I may never use?

There is no need to install everything and the kitchen sink. Just look at the
list, and install whatever you are interested in. And don't worry about
dependencies, yum takes care of those for you.

> Would rather not start from scratch, that would be devastating for me.
> What is the command to install many packages not yet installed?
> Example not working:     yum install [xmms ppc 1:1.2.10-2.p base]

The right way would be:
yum install xmms

All dependencies will be installed as well.

Cheers,

Geert Jan