Newbie questions ... (yikes! :)

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 17:22:53 MST 2005

> > You have almost answered your own question. Almost, because you left out
> > the Gentoo LiveCD, which is the one thing you can download that lets you
> > shrink the preinstalled OSX partition.
>
> Cool!  I was wondering if there was a live (knoppix-like) CD for PPC.
> Hopefully the "minimal" live CD will do the job, since I don't want to
> wait for the full live CD to download.   (my laptop just arrived)  :-)
>
> And I got this email just in time, since I assume shrinking will be much
> easier before the initial OSX boot (which may write files toward the end
> of the drive).

I would *strongly* recommend that you start from scratch and reinstall
OS X rather than resize a partition. It's easy to do and you'll learn
a little about installing OS X in the process! Make sure that you
create one or two or three partitions before the OS X partition so
that you can install however many Linuxes as you wish. Each partition
should be at least 6 GB in size to allow for basic everyday
operations.

Depending on how much you plan to do with OS X, I'd recommend between
10 to 30 GB for OS X to allow for growth in such things as an iPhoto
photo library or an iTunes music collection, or some video editing.

The other partitions should generally be at least 4 GB to keep from
running out of room too quickly (though, you probably already know
that ;-).

Eric.