Newbie questions ... (yikes! :)

Bruce Smith blubdog at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 09:18:22 MST 2005

> I would *strongly* recommend that you start from scratch and reinstall
> OS X rather than resize a partition. It's easy to do and you'll learn
> a little about installing OS X in the process!

Understood, but being in a hurry to play with my new toy, I shrunk the
OS X partition.

I do plan on reinstalling OS X and starting from scratch.  I'm still learning
and figured that I'd play with it this way, install some different
Linux distros,
and start over once I figure out what I'm doing.  :-)

> Make sure that you
> create one or two or three partitions before the OS X partition so
> that you can install however many Linuxes as you wish. Each partition
> should be at least 6 GB in size to allow for basic everyday
> operations.

Does it make a difference the order of the partitions?
(Linux before OSX, or the other way around?  What about Linux swap?)

> Depending on how much you plan to do with OS X, I'd recommend between
> 10 to 30 GB for OS X to allow for growth in such things as an iPhoto
> photo library or an iTunes music collection, or some video editing.

Yeah, I split my 80GB in half when I shrank it, for lack of any
better knowledge.

> The other partitions should generally be at least 4 GB to keep from
> running out of room too quickly (though, you probably already know
> that ;-).

Yup, thanks!  :-)

 - BS