How resume Airport Base Station under YDL4 only?

beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Thu Mar 10 10:20:05 MST 2005

I've just replaced my wireless router with a wired one. My wife has been
connecting her G3 iBook, which has only YDL4 installed (no OSX, no nuthin'
from Apple), by way of the antenna on the old router.

I dug out the old Airport Base Station that we used to use, and stuck the
ethernet cable to her desktop PC downstairs into it, and then another
cable from it to the desktop.

This is half a triumph, so far : the desktop PC still works just fine. But
the iBook does not succeed in bringing up eth0 -- and I've long since
forgotten what name and password I gave it way back when, even if those
are still on there. (It has sat without power nor any connection for a
couple of years or so.)

I suppose I poke a paper clip into the little hole in the back to reset
it?

But then what? I configure a regular router (over a cable, not the
wireless, of course) by browsing to http://192.168.1.1 ; but if I go hook
the iBook instead of the PC to the cable from the Base Station, doing that
is going to take me to the new wired router -- if anywhere -- isn't it?

--
Beartooth Implacable, Linux Evangelist & Gadfly
neo-redneck, curmudgeonly codger with FC1 & YDL 4.0