How resume Airport Base Station under YDL4 only?

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Thu Mar 10 16:59:41 MST 2005

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:55:48 -0500, beartooth wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 10:14:59 -0800, Daniel Gimpelevich wrote:
>
>> [quoted text muted]
>
> Hmmmm .... What's a sungem driver?

The sungem driver allows Linux to use the wired Ethernet connector on your
iBook.

> I can't even tell for sure whether we're on a wavelength. Maybe a little
> more detail will help, since this is part of a larger project.

Detail always helps and can serve to create such a wavelength.

> I'm hoping, eventually, with lots of help from the Net, to set up a home
> LAN, with an old (1998) pentium2 as mailserver, fileserver, and maybe some
> other functions. (It was going to be a printserver, too, but I found a
> little (cigarette-pack-size!) dedicated printserver from linksys that goes
> between the router and the printer ...)
>
> With the wireless router next inside the cable modem, as it wass till
> today, I didn't see a way to make the iBook connect through the server
> *and* the router, instead of just the router.

I take this to mean that your cable modem has a built-in wireless router,
which you have recently deactivated in favor of a wired router plugged
into it, with another router (the AirPort) plugged into that. I still
don't understand what you mean by "through the server" because under your
old setup, all the machines could talk to each other.

> With the antenna downstairs, however, whether a Base Station or just the
> same old wireless router, I'll be able to run cables from the wired router
> to the server to the wireless (whichever) -- once the server is
> configured.

Or you could run a single cable from the server to the old wireless router
and be done with it. It's your choice.

> Then the iBook (which has a white cover, yes; bought from Terrasoft in
> August '02) will connect wirelessly with that antenna, from there to the
> server (when it's done; meanwhile, from the antenna over an ethernet cable
> to the wired router), and only then on out to the Net.

Unless the server is a fourth router or some kind of proxy, I don't get
how the server can be a step between the iBook and the Internet at large.

> So for the present it will connect both wirelessly *and* over ethernet, on
> two successive legs of the connection. Later there'll be two wired legs
> after the wireless one, one on each side of the server, once that is
> between the router and the antenna.
>
> Am I making any sense? Is all this needlessly Rube Goldbergian?

Once I figure out what you're trying to do, I'll be able to suggest
several possible layouts for all this equipment. The way it sounds now is
that you had a very simple setup before, but there was something you were
unable to accomplish with it. The purpose of adding more equipment into
the mix would typically be to prevent some kind of undesirable
connectivity.

> Anyway, what I'm fumbling toward is part of getting all the hardware to
> talk to each other -- an intermediate stage that I'd like to think I can
> do now.

Again, it would help to know what improvement you were seeking when you
replaced your old setup. With more hardware, there's more of it talking
and more of it listening in more combinations, not all of which are
equally important.

> I wouldn't much mind configuring the Base Station via the iBook's and its
> antenna instead of with a temporary cable from it to the iBook -- nor
> configuring it from my wife's PC instead; that connects strictly by
> ethernet cable.

Like I said, if you lost your password and therefore need to reset the
Base Station, you must connect it to some computer using anything
functionally equivalent to a crossover Ethernet cable and change that
computer's IP address and gateway so that it can see a reset Base Station.

> I just thought doing it that way would be safer in case anybody happened
> to be wardriving while I'm doing it. (I live in a town with thirty
> thousand bright impecunious young engineers looking for challenges.)

You don't have much choice.

>> [quoted text muted]
>
> You mean I have to make my Base Station use those strings to
> communicate with the iBook?? Or vice versa?? Or my wired one with the Base
> Station?? I can't imagine how. My router is 192.168.1.x, and my cable
> modem 192.168.100.x ; I thought those were standard.

You can't configure the Base Station without its password unless you reset
it and reconfigure some computer to see it.

> Or do you mean those as actual addresses? Trying to browse to
> http://192.42.249.15 times out.

Yes, those as actual addresses, but not to browse to. You change your
address to that.

>> [quoted text muted]
>
> The underside of the base station says Model number M8840; I don't see
> anything like that on that page, nor anything like all their code words on
> my base station. And, btw, putting the cursor on one of their blue lines
> of text shows something like a URL, only beginning "file:///" instead of
> "http://" -- but nothing happens when I click on one.

There must be some mistake. The M8840 is a PowerMac G4, not an AirPort.
You put the cursor on the wrong blue line of text. Anyway, it seems that
link only has firmware for one model, the M7601. That model was gray,
while all others were white.

>> [quoted text muted]
>
> Re-upload how? Supposing I ever manage to find the right firmware and to
> download it ...

Use the software at that link.

>> [quoted text muted]
>
> I nominate that for understatement of the year. It sounds like it's way
> over my head. :-(

That's not over your head. This is over your head:
http://web.archive.org/web/20031207071236/http://www-hft.ee.tu-berlin.de/~strauman/airport/airport.html