Linux on eMac :(

Geert Janssens geert.janssens3 at pandora.be
Tue Mar 15 02:08:23 MST 2005

On Monday 14 March 2005 21:34, Jan Legutko wrote:
> OK! I installed Fedora, Ubuntu and Yellow Dog. All of them works fine.
> I've done that because my Video configuration was wrong.. The answer
> was on the Ubuntu Forum site.. (my problem is the same)
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-924.html
>
> I followed the instructions and everything runs fine now..
>
> BUT :) I don't know how and I can't Install new applications to these
> systems.. I tried .rpm on Fedora, YDL, .deb on Ubuntu.. I
> double-clicked and nothing.. I know that probably I should do more, do
> something in terminal..
> I heard that Mandrake is the easiest system.. I tried installing it but
> it doesn't work.. Does anyone knows what can be wrong? I have GeForce 2
> MX 32MB. This video card doesn't want to work with Mandrake.. Do you
> kno what do I have to do to make it running?

No idea about mandrake.

But installing extra packages on fedora or YDL has to be done from the command
line. And you should be root to do so. Here's a mini tutorial:

user$ su -
(type your root password)

root# yum list available
(will give you a list of available packages to install)

root# yum install <package-name>
(will install the package)

root# yum --help
(will give you a summary of the possible options to the yum command)

root# man yum
(a more detailed explanation about how the yum command works)

On Ubuntu, you should use Synaptic. I'm not sure what it's called in the
menus, but this is a graphical tool to install extra software on your
computer. Here also, you will have to enter your root password before you can
install anything.

Note that in both cases the installers are configured to find packages on the
internet, so be sure you have a working internet connection.

Hope that helps,

Geert Jan