Linux on eMac :(

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 06:35:06 MST 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:08:23 +0100, Geert Janssens
<geert.janssens3 at pandora.be> wrote:
> On Monday 14 March 2005 21:34, Jan Legutko wrote:
> > OK! I installed Fedora, Ubuntu and Yellow Dog. All of them works fine.
> > I've done that because my Video configuration was wrong.. The answer
> > was on the Ubuntu Forum site.. (my problem is the same)
> >
> > http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-924.html
> >
> > I followed the instructions and everything runs fine now..
> >
> > BUT :) I don't know how and I can't Install new applications to these
> > systems.. I tried .rpm on Fedora, YDL, .deb on Ubuntu.. I
> > double-clicked and nothing.. I know that probably I should do more, do
> > something in terminal..
>>
> > I heard that Mandrake is the easiest system.. I tried installing it but
> > it doesn't work.. Does anyone knows what can be wrong? I have GeForce 2
> > MX 32MB. This video card doesn't want to work with Mandrake.. Do you
> > kno what do I have to do to make it running?
>
> On Ubuntu, you should use Synaptic. I'm not sure what it's called in the
> menus, but this is a graphical tool to install extra software on your
> computer. Here also, you will have to enter your root password before you can
> install anything.
>
> Note that in both cases the installers are configured to find packages on the
> internet, so be sure you have a working internet connection.

Hi Jasiu:

I'm running the newer "developer" version of Ubuntu (called Hoary) so
things may be in slightly different places.

To open Synaptic go to the menu

System:Administration:Synaptic Package Manager

You will be asked to enter your OWN password provided you are the
"first" user on the system, NOT the root password (just like OS X,
Ubuntu wisely avoids the use of root).

#1: Apply security patches first.

The first thing I'd do is do a security patch/bug update by (1)
clicking "Reload" and (2) going to the Status section (bottom left of
window). Click on the "Installed (Upgradeable)" line. Click on "Mark
All Upgrades" and then on "Apply". This will download all available
security patches and bug fixes.

If no upgrades are available, you will not see a "Installed (Upgradeable)" line.

#2: Install the software(s) that you desire.

Go to "Sections" (bottom left of window). Browse through the
categories to find the app(s) that you desire. left-click on the
little square beside a name and select "Mark for installation". If you
decide you don't want the app after all, select "Unmark". After you're
done all this, click on Apply to download and install apps.

Alternately, you can "Search" for software by name. Click on the
Search ICON (top, right of window).

#3: Install even MORE software.

If you want to find softwares which aren't available in the default,
you'll have to enable "Multiverse", or perhaps "Universe" in the
Preferences. For help with that go to the Ubuntu WIKI.

PS If you like the command line there's an easy way to do a
security/bug fix update:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

"sudo" is the security interface and will ask you for your password
every five minutes. "apt-get" is the interface to dpkg, the Debian
package manager and the "&&" allows you to put multiple commands on
one line. If you want to be really lazy, you can:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade

The -y tells apt-get to assume yes to all questions.

Also, you may want to "man apt-get" for more info on apt-get or "man
synaptic" for Synaptic.

Eric.