Unable to see installed YDL on my Mac G4 system.

Frederick C.Lee fclee at highstream.net
Thu Mar 17 12:38:37 MST 2005

Greetings:
	I've tried to install YDL v4.0.1 several times.  My latest was to
reformat the entire target drive to Unix file system vs HFS+.   I did
an auto-install and followed the instructions (created the nec.
partitions) till the installation successfully concluded and did a
reboot.

I'm working from my attached (via firewire) Panther drive.

The target (YDLinux) HD is an old Maxtor drive:

Capacity:	28.62 GB
   Model:	Maxtor 33073H3 B
   Revision:	YAH815Y0
   Serial Number:	L3HZGAAC
   Removable Media:	No
   Detachable Drive:	No
   BSD Name:	disk0
   Protocol:	ATA
   Unit Number:	0
   Socket Type:	Internal
   OS9 Drivers:	No

1) Question: could the Master/Slave DIP switch play in this situation.
  I believe it could be a 'slave' to the second larger HD.   But I had
Jaguar on this drive and it had worked okay (albeit Panther didn't and
was replaced with Jaguar).

The standard installation created three (3) partitions on the above
drive as seen via Disk Utility (non can be mounted):

1) disk0s3 :  27.5 GB
2) disk0s4 : 1.0 GB
3) disk0s5: 92.6 MB

That's what the installation did.   Non are mounted.

The Panther boot drive(external, attached via firewire) does NOT see
the Linux volume via (ls /Volumes).

I tried viewing the Linux partitions from Darwin:

[/Users/Ric]ls /dev/disk0*
/dev/disk0      /dev/disk0s1    /dev/disk0s2    /dev/disk0s3
/dev/disk0s4    /dev/disk0s5

[/Users/Ric]pdisk -l /dev/disk0s3
pdisk: command /dev/disk0s3 not recognized

[/Users/Ric]sudo pdisk /dev/disk0s3 -diskSize
[/Users/Ric]sudo pdisk /dev/disk0s4 -diskSize
[/Users/Ric]sudo pdisk /dev/disk0s5 -diskSize

I'm lost here.
I'm not getting any results.

Any ideas?

Ric.