Mount Problems on Dual G5 Xserve

peter.g.harper at magnox.co.uk peter.g.harper at magnox.co.uk
Fri Mar 18 08:47:46 MST 2005

Hi,

I have just set up a RAID system using two Dual G5 Xserves with a Fibre
Channel connection
to a hardware RAID box.

The system seems to work fine when working as just an nfs server, but if
nfs filesystems
from other nodes on the network are mounted then the Xserve stops. The
kernel seems to
be completely stuck, it is not even possible to connect using the console
and the speed control
on the fans stops functioning.

If the mounted filesystem is from one of the HP or SGI boxes on our network
then the time before it fails
is variable, it may take many minutes. If the filesystem comes from the
other G5 then it stops dead as soon as
mounted filesystem is accessed in any way, just an 'ls' will usually do it.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Peter Harper