VDQ : Can I let a user restart Privoxy?

beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Fri Mar 18 08:59:00 MST 2005

Privoxy keeps dying under YDL4 on my wife's machine (a 2002 G3 iBook).

I've asked about that on both gmane.linux.yellowdog.general and
gmane.comp.web.privoxy.user, but had no responses.

So if I can't cure it, at least maybe there's an easier fix. I hope
there's one that doesn't require her to come get me, nor to become root.

The only way I know to restart privoxy -- the way I found out what was
happening the first time -- is Main Menu > System Settings > Server
Settings > Services. At that point it asks for root's password.

Even if she kept the password (and she doesn't want to), she'd have to go
through the list, find privoxy, do the right thing, close the window back
down, etc., etc.

Is there some command line method, and a permission I can add that will
enable her just to up-arrow from a prompt in a terminal till she
recognizes it, and then hit enter?

If so, how? Man service and man service start got me nowhere, and man
service start privoxy just put me into man privoxy -- which is way over my
head.

I'd guess something in man privoxy or in /etc/privoxy somewhere may tell
the initiated, but there's nothing either place that I can make head or
tail of, alas!

And how about permissions? Will root need to set permission for her for
the requisite command? If so, how? Permissions are one of the things I
haven't gotten to yet....

She gets into her remote email, with ssh to the remote machine where she
runs pine (whose basic commands her fingers know), by just hitting the up
arrow till she spots the command she wants. (She seldom if ever makes any
use of her shell at all, except to ssh into remote email.) It works fine.
But there are no permission questions there, and I do know the ssh
command.

--
Beartooth Implacable, Linux Evangelist & Gadfly
neo-redneck, curmudgeonly codger with FC1&2, YDL4