Q: using XCDRoast w/ YDL 4.01?

Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. joseph_sacco at comcast.net
Fri Mar 18 14:46:59 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 15:51, Albrecht Dreß wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a little confused about using xcdroast on YDL 4.01 on a PowerMac G4
> "Silver" with a self-compiled kernel 2.6.10.
>
> Following the hints in the kernel sources, I dropped ide-scsi and
> configured xcdroast to use /dev/hdc as reader and writer device, which in
> turn loads the modules ide_cd and cdrom.
>
> Problem 1: regular users can not access the device through xcdroast,
> although the permissions are fine. Only root is able to see the device and
> an inserted disk.

I don't have this problem.  On my system /dev/cdrom is a link pointing
to /dev/hda, which seems to be owned my me, although I don;t know why.

> Problem 2: I insert a data cd, but xcdroast claims that the cd contains an
> audio track. Trying to read the track anyway failes with cdda errors, and
> xcdroast can not be canceled (maybe I didn't wait long enough, though).

I inserted a data CD and xcdroast claims that the CD contains an audio
track.  I have a sense of humor.  I instructed xcdrecord to create an
image in the /tmp directory, which it did:

 ls -l /tmp/track*
-rw-rw-r--  1 jsacco jsacco       472 Mar 18 16:18 /tmp/track-01.inf
-rw-rw-r--  1 jsacco jsacco 713213468 Mar 18 16:27 /tmp/track-01.wav
-rw-rw-r--  1 jsacco jsacco       309 Mar 18 16:18 /tmp/track-01.xinf
-rw-rw-r--  1 jsacco jsacco       321 Mar 18 16:27 /tmp/track.toc

Hmmm...  A big wav file. [right!!!...]

I then instructed xcdrecord to burn the image onto a blank CD.

OK... Is the newly burned CD mountable???  Not likely

        mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
        /dev/cdrom: Input/output error
        mount: block device /dev/cdrom is write-protected, mounting
        read-only
        /dev/cdrom: Input/output errormount:
        /dev/cdrom: can't read superblock

Why is that???  See