Q: using XCDRoast w/ YDL 4.01?

Geert Janssens geert.janssens3 at pandora.be
Sat Mar 19 01:54:31 MST 2005

On Friday 18 March 2005 22:46, Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 15:51, Albrecht Dreß wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am a little confused about using xcdroast on YDL 4.01 on a PowerMac G4
> > "Silver" with a self-compiled kernel 2.6.10.
> >
> > Following the hints in the kernel sources, I dropped ide-scsi and
> > configured xcdroast to use /dev/hdc as reader and writer device, which in
> > turn loads the modules ide_cd and cdrom.
> >
> > Problem 1: regular users can not access the device through xcdroast,
> > although the permissions are fine. Only root is able to see the device
> > and an inserted disk.
>
> I don't have this problem.  On my system /dev/cdrom is a link pointing
> to /dev/hda, which seems to be owned my me, although I don;t know why.

Hmm, just a wild guess here, since I don't have a cd writer to test this with
(and right now not even a ydl installation to see default config options)...

Could it be the mount point for the writer is configured differently
in /etc/fstab for Albert vs Joseph ?

I know there are some options you could add to an entry like "user", which
makes the cd-writer mountable by the user. Mandrake even has something such
as supermount, which does a similar thing. But I don't know of any details
here.

You could check this. But maybe I'm just waaaaaaay off.

Cheers,

Geert Jan