Hostname, Apache, and SSL

xlargebear at bellsouth.net xlargebear at bellsouth.net
Fri Mar 25 11:24:51 MST 2005

Hi
I got an issue with the hostname of my machine not sticking after
reboot. I'm trying to set up Apache with SSL and I haven't gotten it to
work because of the hostname not matching the CommonName in the SSL
certificate.
When I installed YDL4 I didn't have a domain name back then so I set
the hostname to Linux. Now I have a domain name and I'd like to change
the hostname. I did hostnam www.mydomain.com and it shows as that when
you enter hostname in the terminal. However, when apache starts with
SSL the hostname it picks up is Linux (the old one) in spite of the
fact that hostname shows the new name. When I restart after changing
the hostname, it goes back to the old one: Linux.
What am I missing here guys?
My machine is a Beige G3 266 booting with BootX ( I don't know if this
is relevant )
Thanks
Froinds